Recommendations for weekly exercises
- 150 minutes of moderate intensity aerobic exerise
- 2 Strength training work-outs for large muscles
- 75 minutes of vigorous intensity aerobic exercise (high intensity)
- 2 Strength training work-outs for all large muscles
What if I am really inactive, watch TV, drive everywhere, and sit at a desk all day?
- 10 minutes of daily moderate aerobic exercise, such as walking fast, has been shown to reduce blood pressure in women over the age of 50 who normally do no exercise. You can also try my 10 minute work-out below to get started.
The NHS choices website has more ideas on exercise combinations.
Walking more everyday or taking the stairs can increase your aerobic exercise time without much effort. But you have to be responsible for making the change.
The following exercise videos are ideas of resistance training exercises for anyone who doesn't have the time to leave the house. You can do them while listening to the radio or a podcast.
Whole body high intensity daily exercises
This workout is for anyone who can hop on one leg and raise their shoulders above their head.
We all have to start somewhere. Maybe you never liked exercise, or maybe your family and working life have always come first.
- Try this ten minute high intensity work-out 5 days a week. You can start off by doing each exercise for 10-15 seconds, then after 2 weeks, see if you can do each exercise for 20-25 seconds. Every 2 weeks increase each exercise length by 10 seconds.
- After 8 weeks you will be able to preform the exercises for 60 seconds
Knee pain or hip pain
This workout is for anyone with knee or hip pain. It avoids putting weight through the shoulders and wrists.
If you have osteoarthritis of the hip and knees then you need to start strengthening your core muscles, thigh muscles, and outer hip muscles. Studies have shown that a strong core reduces the workload of the hip and knee muscles. Pain form knee osteoarthritis can be reduced by strengthening the quadriceps alone.
In knee osteoarthritis, the middle part of the joint is often affected. As a result the inner thigh muscles ( Vastus medialis) becomes weak creating imbalance of the muscles around the knee.
If you have gotten this far, then read the section on motivation and print out the exercise contract and follow the instructions. Most people know they need to exercise, but we do need motivation!
- Do this 20 minute lower body resistance training workout twice a week
- If you are starting off, hold or perform each exercise for 10 seconds. Then, build it up every 2 weeks by adding another 10 seconds.
- If you are unable to lie down or get up from the floor, you can do these exercises lying on a hard bed.